Sunday, February 10, 2008

Much too smart

As reported by my beautiful wife Mrs. Mustard, we celebrated Mass last evening with other married couples who are celebrating a significant anniversary this year (that being any anniversary ending in 0 or 5 or any past 50). I'm not sure if the whole event brought to light how grateful she is that I wake up with Sacha EVERY morning and let her sleep until 8, but my wife decided to try and get up with him to let me sleep in.

You see, Sacha feels it is unacceptable for Mommy to get up with him, because she is home all day every day, while Daddy is only home all day two days a week. So he has previously fought any notion of forgoing his daddytime with fierce determination. But Mommy had a plan. She told him that it was only Mommy this morning, implying that maybe Daddy was already at work.

At first it seemed he had been tricked and I could actually sleep past 6:30am. But then he saw my watch and ring lying around and pointed them out to mommy, implying that their presence suggested discordance with the story he'd been told. Exhibit B: my boots. If daddy's boots are in the porch, how can he possibly be at work? Hmmm. I'm not sure what the last straw was, but it was likely one of the many pieces of paternal paraphernalia strewn about the house suggesting to Sacha that if they were here, I must be as well.

Down he went out of mommy's hands and made a beeline straight to the bedroom door. He started knocking ever so politely, upon which the door opened and he realized that his suspicions were correct. There lay daddy in bed, basking in the glory of a sleep that lasted until 8am, even if its potential length had been truncated by a brilliant toddler.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Your son is already smarter than you guys are. Have fun battling with his keen observational skills. hehehe